NZ Certificate in Agrichemical Application Level 4. Become a Registered Chemical Applicator (RCA)

Who should have this certificate?

This certificate is for ground sprayers who spray for hire or reward. If you specialise in the application of agrichemicals – horticulture, agriculture, forestry or any other industry – then you should consider becoming a Registered Chemical Applicator (RCA).

It is the highest standard/qualification that a ground applicator can hold. Many regional plans specify that contractors hold a RCA certificate or equivalent training.

In many cases, contracts for spraying will specify that the on-site supervisor is a Registered Chemical Applicator. It is a national requirement that all contractors using motorised equipment whom spray highly Eco Toxic Substances (class 9.1A, 9.2A, 9.3A or 9.4A) are RCA certified or equivalent.

Benefits of Registered Chemical Applicator certificate holder are:

  • Implement and monitor spray plans
  • Provide direction to staff applying agrichemicals
  • Make day-to-day decisions in relation to agrichemical application
  • Apply agrichemicals in a safe, responsible and effective way with minimal adverse impact on human, environmental and animal health
  • Meet obligations under the Hazardous Substance and New Organisms Act 1996 (HSNO), the Health and Safety at Work Act 2016 and associated regulations, the Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA) and the Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines Act 1997 (ACVM Act); including the requirements of your local regional plan.

Certification Requirements: To Achieve The RCA Certification You Need…

  • GROWSAFE Standard certificate
  • National Certificate in Agrichemical Application
  • Evidence of 200 hours of practical spraying experience
  • Certified Handler Test Certificate (if required)

The NZ Certificate in Agrichemical Application Level 4 with strands in Aquatic, Tree and Vine Horticultural, Targeted Weed Control and Total Vegetation Control is the first step to becoming a Registered Agrichemical Applicator (RCA) Harris Training Services Ltd provides this qualification through Connexis ITO.

To view the qualification contents click here.

Applying for your RCA certification

When you have completed your NZC in Agrichemical Application, you can apply to Growsafe for your RCA certificate by completing an application form and providing evidence of your qualifications and spraying experience. Once your certificate is issued, your name will be added to the Growsafe register and made publicly available on the Growsafe website.